Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wednesday afternoons


I spend Wednesday afternoons in a tiny shop, cluttered with thread, fabric, zippers and about 12 sewing machines. My sewing "class" is more like an independent study; you bring a project and then Linda, the instructor gives instructions one step at a time and off you go. In case you were becoming mildly impressed, Linda speaks to me exclusively in English. My German is good enough to order food but definitely not ready to discuss pleats and hidden seams.

Sewing is something my mother and sister do very well. John and I have them to thank for every curtain that's hung in our apartments and most of the pillows. My Grandmother Casey sewed. I'm fairly certain my Aunt Jan sews and I know my Uncle Frank does. I figured it was high time I joined the ranks of Caseys who sew.

Sew far my efforts are a mixed bag. Linda likes to call some of my hems "creative." Sewing a straight line is still a work in progress. I've been told to think about ripping out threads as "zen" but I'm pretty sure that was said just to make me feel better about the third time I sewed on my ruffles. My two completed projects could likely withstand a spin in the wash without falling to pieces but really should only be viewed from a distance.

All that said, I'm totally digging the sewing class. It makes me feel domestic (especially when I create things like aprons). While I don't think I'll get to a point where I trust anyone but my mother or sister with my pillows, I look forward to pushing the pedals, loading some bobbins and sewing up a storm.
First project: The bag at the top. Yes, of course, it's lined.
Second project: Heidi-esque apron. Ridiculous but an excellent project for mastering skills like gathering. As he took the picture, John said "put up your arm." Not sure the look he was going for but it's the best shot of me in the apron.
Next project: After a minor accident in the kitchen my favorite potholder is a charred, burnt mess. I'm going to whip up a new one!!

Here's the website for the shop if you're interested!



2 comments:

  1. I'm going to need one of those aprons! Make me one! :)

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the sexiest apron I've ever seen! way to go, girl!

    ReplyDelete