Wednesday, March 3, 2010

If this is Sewtown, then I'm the Mayor!

A wise man once said “Sewing is premium.” (Actually, that’s a lie. No one has ever said anything profound about sewing from which I could pull a timely and pertinent quote. But I’m not gonna lie, sewing is pretty premium.)


Anyway, here’s an update on my premium sewing efforts!


The last few weeks I’ve been using embroidery to justify hours of movie and TV watching. In my defense, all the movies have been auf Deutsch and the Olympics were on; I had no choice but to watch!! The nice thing about embroidery is that at the end of the movie (or three) I have something to show for the hours that have passed.


Here’s one of the pillows (not yet stuffed) I made for John. The front is an embellished grocery bag; the back is blue velvet and it’s piped in red.


Here’s a grey pillow I bought and then added to with felt. Let's not talk about how I intended to make two of these...


Back in the fall (see my previous blog, "Here Comes the Sun") I mentioned that I had a sewing project that went bad. Well, I didn’t give up on that image and here’s the finished product. The goal is to back this with something lush and wonderful and have another pillow for our future home!


Recently, I decided to stop making pillows (to be honest, that got a little out of hand) and instead switched to making what will eventually be wall-hangings.


Here’s future wall-hanging #1:

Here’s #2 (not yet filled in with color):

And in my sewing class I’ve been busy as well. The most premium thing I’ve finished recently is this clutch. Pretty cool, huh?

As you can see here, I even added magnetic snaps and lined it with raw silk. Getting fancy, y'all!

Finally - living in a grossly cold city has afforded me more gloves than a woman really needs and thus, I chose to use a pattern I found online (because this is where I find everything) to transform simple black gloves into this:

We miss our puppy, Lucy, tremendously and I felt we needed our own version of her here in Berlin. This'll have to suffice until we can be reunited with our sweet girl!


6 comments:

  1. You and your hidden talents! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are indeed the mayor! Premium pieces, just premium! :) The pillows are fantastic, and I love the clutch!
    - Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressed with the purse. Really impressed with the puppy. Aw! So cute! Actually, I'm really impressed with all of it. Who knew you had such talents screaming to get out! By the way, what does the pillow say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorites are the one with the flower and bird and of course the lucy shaped one. =) But they are all beautiful. If finding a job stateside doesn't work out, you could go into the pillow making business! Better yet we could start a business together, a quirky boutique filled with pillows and jewelry and all your other sewing creations. Yes!
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandmother Casey would be so proud of you. She was the one who would embroidery your name on things for school. Someday I want a piece of your work just in case you become super famous!!!! Love ya - Mom

    ReplyDelete