Friday, January 1, 2010

Old and New

So New Years is a time for reflecting on the past and thinking about the future, right? All the lists and countdowns popping up on the internet would suggest so. Sure, I could wax poetic about the wunderbar gifts 2009 gave me. A chance to try a new country, a new life, a new language. It's been a good year. As for the future? If only I could predict what 2010 will bring for us. A new city? A new life? Definitely not a new language; I long for days filled with English.

But no, that's not the purpose of this post. I've just been looking for an excuse to share my latest pictures with you. On Tuesday John and I braved the snow and wind to travel to the Ethnography Museum in Dahlem, just outside of Berlin. The collection is unbelievable. It's mind-blowing, take your breath away, amazing. We walked around with our mouths gaping open and cameras flashing. When I studied in London I spent hours in the British Museum, just staring at the collections. The Ethnography Museum is better. Hands down. (And if you've heard me go on and on about the BM, you know this is saying a lot.)

I wish I were a better photographer (especially through glass) so that I could show you the remarkable masks, statues, boats (yes WHOLE boats), and jewelry. If you're coming to Berlin, I'm going to use you as an excuse to go back. You won't mind, I promise. :)







And now from ancient world cultures to a modern, make-believe culture. John and I had a hot date for New Years.
Movie, drinks, a fantastic dinner and home before the Silvester revelry really got cranking (John will tell you more about that soon). Here we are waiting for the start of Avatar 3D. Maybe not as moving as the Palau artifacts at the museum, but still pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. John, the hair and the glasses are just too much. Nicccce. Das sister-in-law

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren, those pictures are incredible (don't sell yourself short). I would love to see them in person. I guess we really haven't come as far as we might like to think with our art. Those are fabulous. Das sister.

    ReplyDelete