Sunday, January 24, 2010

Grüne Woche

I'm not gonna lie folks, it is hella cold over here in Berlin so any opportunity we have to be entertained indoors is a must-do for the Graebers! On Saturday we attended the 75th annual International Green Week, the "world's biggest fair for food, agriculture, and horticulture." We knew this event was legit when our German tutor mentioned she was planning on going, just as she goes every year with the whole family in tow. And indeed many a German attends the fair; in 2009 attendance was somewhere in the 400,000 range. Based on our rough estimates of how many people you can squeeze into tight spaces, I'd say their numbers will be as good this year.
This was probably as close to a state fair as we're going to get over here, and it did indeed include delicious foodstuffs but not of the deep-fried, powder-sugared sort. Nah, Grüne Woche is a place for cheese, salami, sausage, more cheese, wine, beer, a little cheese, and gelato. The halls are organized by country so we meandered our way through many of the world's cultures grabbing samples, listening to live performances, elbowing and being elbowed, generally taking in the experience.

In the Dutch section we saw a famous work of art (10 cool points to the person who can name it) recreated with tiny wooden shoes.
And of course there were tulips in the Dutch section. And of course I took pictures.
We saw some interesting livestock.
John stood next to a very large tractor. We thought Judson might like this one.
We were very impressed by the fancy bread display in the Ukrainian section.
And, John was speechless when we came across a room literally covered in beer bottles. Boy loves him so beer.

To see the website for Grüne Woche, click here. Don't worry, it's in English. :)

5 comments:

  1. Was it the Night Watch by Rembrandt? I know it is a Rembrandt but not sure about the name. Not enough shown.

    DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dave!! You will be receiving your 10 cool points in the mail very soon. We're impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So unfair. I checked and it's a snippet from Rembrandt's Night Watch. Well, I prepare to post a comment and Davey has beat me to it! It's only because I had to work this morning and couldn't check my emails until this afternoon. BUT I KNEW IT TOO! Oh well, sour grapes! I did enjoy the entire journey through Green Week. That bread made like a mouse was really cute! As well as John in beer heaven. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do you both know your Rembrandts so well? I knew my parents were smart, but this knowledge seems really obscure. I'm just shocked and amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the painting at the Rijks (sic) Museum in Amsterdam in 1976. They had a separate room just for this painting. It is huge and takes up a whole wall. The correct name of the museum eludes me; thus the (sic)

    ReplyDelete