Friday, October 9, 2009

Here comes the sun

It's a beautiful day in Berlin and my goal is to spend as much of it outside as possible. Although perfectly sunny it is rather chilly so I have come in to warm up and to wait on John, who is being dragged out to exercise this afternoon. I thought I'd continue to give you a glimpse into our life here, especially now that it has taken on a splendidly routine nature. It almost seems that we really live here.

This is our building from the courtyard. There are far too many stairs up to our apartment, but we both have great asses now, so I'm not complaining!

Empty today, this square will be entirely filled with the bi-weekly market tomorrow morning. We buy fruits and vegetables here regularly and can't seem to leave without stopping by the churro guy who sells his freshly fried churros for just a euro.

Our primary U-bahn stop; we have another one that is closer but a lot less pleasant to walk to. One of my favorite features of this U-bahn is the man who stands at the entrance most every day, playing a harmonica with one hand, while the other holds a boom box to his ear. The music from the stereo has little to no relevance to what he plays, but he plays with gusto, all the while dancing.

Looking back from the platform of the U-bahn this is the street. We walk through this area daily and I've even gotten to the point that I recognize people.

This is what happens when embroidery goes bad. I'd been working on what was to become a pillow this week only to have to undo nearly all of it. I'm sure there is a life lesson about recovering from setbacks somewhere in this experience, but I was just frustrated and cranky for a while. No worries, John and a good Italian dinner put me back in good spirits and I'm determined to try again.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren:

    Jane and I really enjoy your comments. We can't wait to read about your daily activities. Keep them going. Cheers!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren! Just wanted to let you know that I got your blog address from Audrey and I've been following along your adventures. It's pretty fun to read about you all getting accustomed to life in Europe now that I'm 3 years in. Makes me wish I'd kept a blog of my experience!

    If you find yourselves heading over to Paris before next May (or want to make a point to head over to Paris while there is a free sofabed available) let me know! It would be fun to see you.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete