Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Week in Pictures

I spent much of this past week just exploring Berlin, and therefore I thought I would post some pictures of the more interesting moments from the last seven days.

Apparently inline-skating is a huge deal here, because last week our walk was temporarily interrupted by thousands of skaters participating in Berlin's weekly "Skate by Night" event. In a style reminiscent of DC's motorcades, this traveling pack of skaters is accompanied along their 20+ kilometer route around the city by the Polizei. I honestly think the Boschies need to consider renting some skates one Sunday and joining the party. When in Berlin...

Imagine my surprise when I realized my first visit to Alexanderplatz, the old historic city center of communist East Berlin, coincided with the Frauen hacken Holz event. Apparently, a group of Swedish and German women between 50 and 70 years old gathered together to chop and stack wood for three days in a demonstration of female physical strength and cooperation that transcends national and linguistic barriers. It was a bizarre first impression of Alexanderplatz, to say the least.


Like me, Berliners were moved by the sudden death of Michael Jackson, as this makeshift memorial in front of Alexanderplatz's Weltzeituhr (World Time Clock) shows. I've also heard plenty of Michael Jackson hits throughout the city during the last week, and all this affection despite the fact that it was here (as I was reminded) that Wacko Jacko performed his famous hold-the-baby-out-the-fourth-story-window routine.

I moved apartments this week to a quaint little section of Berlin, and this church stands just down the street from me. I love looking at and photographing old churches, not to mention climbing their towers if given the chance. Its bells chime daily and seem to compete with the bells of another church in the area. This really adds to the charm of the neighborhood. I just hope they don't chime too early in the morning, because that will not be so charming.

1 comment:

  1. I (gasp!) have been remiss in checking the blog and was thinking "Gee, wouldn't I love to see some pictures of John's travels!"...ask and ye shall receive, I suppose! Great pics, and commentary to boot! So glad to hear how you're doing, and what you've been up to. :-)

    ReplyDelete