Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lauren's Week in Pictures

A glimpse into Lauren's version of Germany:

On Wednesday I took my first test in German. As you can see, I rocked it. You might say I beasted it. John was very proud and threatened to make me start ordering food and drinks on my own.

On Thursday night we went to the National Gallery of Art in Berlin. Did I take a single picture of the masterpieces in the museum? No. Did I immediately point my camera at the ceiling, per usual? Well...yes.

Many of you have been wondering if I am still a picky eater. The answer is yes. Germany is forcing me (because I can't read the menu) to try new things, even if unwittingly. Cherries, however, are a food that I actually did know auf Deutsch and was still willing to try. You'll be happy to know I now include them in my acceptable-fruits list. Not cooked, though. Ew.

This is how we spend our Sunday afternoons - at Cafe Wieslau, drinking coffee, eating and studying. In the picture you will see I am identifying singular and plural nominative nouns. Only on Thursday was I introduced to the accusative case. One thing at a time, folks.

German articles are the bane of my existence. Why words are gendered (without thought to any decipherable reason or rule) is beyond me. The fact that the article changes according to a word's function in the sentence inspired the above doodle. I felt I needed to work out my feelings and poetry seemed silly. Yes, the one in the middle (den) looks like John. Yes, he's wearing tiny jorts. Yes, he is also sporting his Texas belt buckle. No, I'm not sure why he's the only humanoid figure.


We finished the week with a rousing hour of Tischtennis (ping pong) in a nearby park. I lost every round, but I looked good doing it with my Level 400 paddle. We recently purchased a professional ping pong set and carrying cases that declare we're members of "Team Germany." In light of my language/coordination "issues" I'm skeptical of my ability to play anyone other than John, but no worries, I'll be hustling the locals soon enough.

3 comments:

  1. I am now officially stoked to schooling both of you in ping pong when we get there. Ummmm. . . . .stick (?). Yeah, it just doesn't work for me.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add the picture of the ceiling to my collection in your room at my house!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. My what a nice camera you have! Who's yo' daddy?

    ReplyDelete