Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Camp Berlin

When John and I first started telling people we would be participating in the Bosch year, one of the first questions I always received was, "What are you going to DO?" I would laugh and make/accept all sorts of suggestions, sure that I'd find ways to fill my time. If pressed, I might admit that I was a little concerned about how to occupy the long, cold, dark days of a German winter. But of course there would be something to do...right?

It turns out I might should have taken those concerns a bit more seriously because indeed the German winter is long, cold and dark. Berlin and I are already such good friends that I'm running out of new places to explore, especially ones that don't require a session of ice-dancing on the uncleared sidewalks. John's been giving me worried looks for the last 2 weeks as I have become increasingly restless and has been frantically trying to find me new activities. I have jokingly and lovingly referred to his efforts as "Camp Berlin." We gotta get my week's schedule filled up, folks!!

Here's a look at the many and varied activities on offer at Camp Berlin:

Tuesday and Thursday afternoons: German lessons with a delightful Berliner named Sophia
What am I up to? Oh, just mastering the art of German adjectives. It's very advanced. Prepare yourself. Last week I drew this picture:
And then used my adjective knowledge to write sentences like: "In front of the big mountain are two people. The man wears a hat. The hat is black. The black hat is tall." Like I said, it's advanced, or at least an advanced lesson in humility.

Wednesday afternoons: Sewing lessons with a delightful Hollander named Linda
You've seen some of my previous efforts. Most recently I've been working on a surprise gift for Ellis and Judson. (If you two have learned to read and are reading this now, stop immediately!!) I had such a good time making a potholder before Christmas I decided to tweak the pattern a bit and create hand-puppets for my favorite niece and nephew, who I've been told get a kick out of puppets. I'm pretty pleased with the results!
(Coming soon) Friday mornings: Beginners Painting/Art Appreciation
This is a new addition to my schedule. I may be creative and I may use Modge Podge effectively, but I've never been a painter. This is going to be an adventure, one that may or may not produce attractive art.

Of course there are also occasional museum visits and lots of pictures to take, sites left to see and books to read. I'm very open to new suggestions, so if you have time-filling opportunities let me know. I'm also on the hunt for a new sewing project. Anyone have any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. The wee bits are going to love those. You could use up some time thinking up clever names for them. Otherwise they'll be called 'Rose' or 'Rose something' and 'Dog'. I swear everything in our house is named Rose right now. Judson will keep it simple. Just don't start his puppet's name with 'tr'. We don't need any more conversations about "silly frucks" around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red gingham puppet looks a little like Lucy who has become my friend. Don't tell anyone, but I let her in the kitchen with me last night!!!! There are still moments when I wonder what is going through her doggie mind. Love the puppets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your puppets look awesome! Brava!

    ReplyDelete